ASEES-- panelist needed

Kelly, Martha kellymartha at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Oct 12 00:46:41 UTC 2012

I am posting this on behalf of my colleague Chris Stroop, who's organizing an ASEES panel I'm on.

You may reply off-list to either him (cstroop at gmail.com<mailto:cstroop at gmail.com>) or me (kellymartha at missouri.edu<mailto:kellymartha at missouri.edu>).

-- Martha Kelly
Assistant Professor
German & Russian Studies
University of Missouri

------------
Dear Colleagues,

Due to a cancellation, the ASEEES panel I organized for this November, "Discussions of Religion in Silver Age Journalism," is currently projected to have only two papers presented, only one of which will be read in person by the author. If you work on this topic and are interested in the possibility of filling in a spot on this panel, please let me know off-list. The panel description is copied below. Thanks.

Best,

Chris Stroop

--
Christopher Stroop
PhD, History and Humanities, Stanford University

Discussions of Religion in Silver Age Journalism

While religion was a major concern of Silver age literary and philosophical thought, insufficient scholarly attention has been paid to the significance of religious ideas in late imperial Russian journalism. Engaging a variety of journalistic genres, this interdisciplinary panel will explore little-known discussions of religion in fin-de-siècle Russia’s public sphere. In the process, it will seek to expand our knowledge of the larger conversation about religion that took place during the period; to help us gain a better grasp of that conversation’s social significance; and to foster fruitful dialogue between literary scholars and historians working on the Silver Age.

The panel will explore discussions of religion in the public sphere by the Russian religious and literary intelligentsia. Papers will focus on 'publitsistika' in a variety of turn-of-the-century journals and periodicals in an effort to describe more broadly the larger conversation about religion in that period.