"ognevitsa" from "Nezhivoi zver'" by Teffi

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sun Oct 14 22:26:58 UTC 2012

Robert,

I would suggest that "ognevitsa" is not a stove, but is indeed an Old
Russian word for fever or rash, and that "ognevitsa-pechkina dochka" is
a compound folklore demonic name. This fits the context of the
frightened child's imaginings. Ognevitsa (more commonly Ogneia,
Ognennaia in recorded charms) is the personification of a variety of
illnesses associated with fire or heat, some times in the plural "sestry
ognevitsy". It may be one of the many names of the 12 demonic fevers in
Russian folklore and magic charms; these are collectively called
triasavitsy, and also the Daughters of Herod. For the doublet name
compare "baba yaga - kostianaia noga". The triasavitsy occur mostly in
the complex of magic prayer-spells and uncanonical icons associated with
St Sisinnii. I know of no other occurrences of this particular word
association (ognevitsa-stove-daughter), but it appears that sets of 12
rag dolls representing the 12 triasavitsy could be found hanging on the
stove of Russian houses, presumably with an apotropaic function. There
is a set of these dolls in the Ethnographic Museum in St Petersburg but
I have not found any other museum example, or any description in the
literature. I published a photograph of the dolls in my Bathhouse at
Midnight, p. 442.

Will Ryan