Alternative Spring Break in Russia (American Home - Vladimir, Russia)

Johnson, David Matthew david.matthew.johnson at VANDERBILT.EDU
Tue Sep 11 21:21:37 UTC 2012

Dear Russian Language Faculty and Friends of the American Home (Vladimir, Russia),

Building on last year's success, the American Home will sponsor two Alternative Spring Break Programs in March 2013.

Details about the programs are below.  For additional information and comments, stories, pictures and TV reports about the 2012 program, please visit:

http://theamericanhome.blogspot.com/2012/05/our-first-alternative-spring-break.html.

I hope that you will be able to share information about the programs with your students, colleagues, and anyone who might be interested in helping others in Vladimir and Murom!

Many schools have special grants and/or funds to help students participate in community service and international humanitarian relief projects. Check with your university study abroad office for information.

The first application deadline is October 15, 2012.

Please feel free to contact me with questions and for more information about the Alternative Spring Break Program or any of the American Home’s other programs and activities.

Sincerely,

David Johnson

Coordinator, Intensive Russian Program, American Home (www.serendipity-russia.com<http://www.serendipity-russia.com/>)
Lecturer in Russian, Vanderbilt University (david.matthew.johnson at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:david.matthew.johnson at vanderbilt.edu>)

Alternative Spring Break in Russia (March 2013) - Service Learning in Two Ancient Russian Cities

VLADIMIR

Help several community organizations, including the Youth Health and Education Center, Karl Liebnicht Orphanage, Humanitarian Aid Store, Handicapped Children's Association “Light” and others, while interacting with Russian university students and experiencing the delight and wonder of provincial Russia.

MUROM

Work with university students at the Murom Institute to improve their English language skills; prepare audio and video materials for their English language program. During the Soviet period Murom was a closed city. Today it remains isolated from traditional tourist routes. Foreign language faculty and students are eager for contact with native English speakers.

DATES: March 3-11 and 10-17, 2013

HOUSING: Homestays (with home-cooked breakfasts and dinners)

EXCURSIONS: Excursions in each city and to surrounding sights, for example to Suzdal (UNESCO World Heritage Site)

PROGRAM FEE: $795-940, depending on the number of participants; Includes room and board, excursions, transportation from/to Moscow airport, visa invitation, basic Russian language lessons, on-site administrative support; Does not include visa application expenses ($240), airfare, lunches, public transportation in Vladimir ($0.45/ride), health/travel insurance

LEADERS: In Vladimir – David Johnson (Lecturer in Russian, Vanderbilt University) and American Home staff and Vladimir State University students; In Murom – English language faculty and students from the Murom Institute

GROUP SIZE: 5-10 participants (a minimum of 5 participants is required for each group)

Application Deadlines: October 15 and November 1, 2012

To Apply:

1) by October 15 email David Johnson (david.matthew.johnson at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:david.matthew.johnson at vanderbilt.edu>) expressing your interest in the program and include a scanned copy of the picture page of your passport (for your Russian visa)

2) by November 1 mail a $500 deposit to Dr. Ron Pope, 1403 Kingsridge Drive, Normal, IL 61761-2860

COMMENTS AND OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE AMERICAN HOME

“What you've done is truly incredible. The excitement and positive energy that we witnessed was something that I'd rarely seen before. You deserve hearty congratulations!” (US Embassy Official, visiting the AH (2010)).

“I am extremely impressed by all that I have learned about the program: the educational opportunities..., the enthusiasm of the participants, the careful planning the American Home staff puts into each participant's experience. In the post-Soviet period there are many opportunities for Americans in Russia; I find the Serendipity program one of the most exciting” (Dr. Judith E. Kalb, Russian Program, University of South Carolina).

“Vladimir offers a real opportunity to immerse yourself in Russian language and culture. Such immersion can be very frightening at first, and that is why...the American Home is such a plus. Here I am given the opportunity to work with Russians in an atmosphere that is very familiar, fostering, and comfortable. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience Russia for what it really is...” (Matt Plischke, Miami University (Ohio)).

“Galina and the [rest of the staff] made a profound impression with their efficiency and helpfulness. If only everyone we worked with on [our] trips was as reliable and efficient as [the AH] staff” (Diane Ignashev, Professor of Russian, Carlton College).

“You have a fantastic program here. This is cooperation at its finest, and the skills and respect that you are giving your students is invaluable” (Patrick Buzzard, NASA, US Embassy, Moscow).

“The American Home is easily the single most influential American presence in [Russia] outside Moscow and St. Petersburg” (Dr.Nils H. Wessel, Professor of Government, Emeritus, US Coast Guard Academy).