Am forwarding this message from Catherine Crowther: 'To Russia with Jung' Radio programme Sept 17th

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Sep 14 09:35:36 UTC 2012

RADIO PROGRAMME ON TRAINING JUNGIAN PSYCHOANALYSTS IN RUSSIA

‘To Russia with Jung’

Monday 17th September 2012, 8.0pm BBC Radio 4

 There will be a half hour radio documentary on Monday evening 17th September about the Jungian psychoanalytic training programme that British Jungian analysts have been doing in Russia since 1998. Psychoanalysis had been repressed since Stalin in the 1930s until Yeltsin lifted the prohibition in the 1990s. Although some version of depth psychology had been carrying on underground throughout this bleak period, with the arrival of perestroika the Russians eagerly sought new access to the wider world of intellectual life and were hungry for opportunities for psychoanalytic training especially in clinical skills.

Earlier this year BBC producer Chris Ledgard accompanied Catherine Crowther and Jan Wiener to St Petersburg to meet a group of Russian analysts and trainees from Moscow and St Petersburg who had been trained by a team of more than 20 British Jungian analysts on a ‘shuttle’ basis over the past 14 years. The International Association for Analytical Psychology (IAAP) and all four Jungian societies in Britain supported our programme, with 20 British analysts travelling to Russia four times a year to offer clinical supervision or personal analysis using interpreters. The aim was always to help the Russians to become self-sufficient by enabling the trained analysts to gradually take on their own responsibility for training new practitioners to a high standard. Our work has recently evolved into a partnership with our Russian colleagues as we pass the baton on to them.

The BBC Radio programme witnesses the end stages of this long process. Chris Ledgard met members of the Jungian analytic community in Russia, interviewed Russian analysts, trainees and interpreters, sat in on a group supervision of trainees and several meetings discussing the future plans for Jungian psychoanalytic training. He also interviewed one of the most influential people in reviving psychoanalysis in Russia, as well as asking Jan and Catherine for a running commentary throughout the visit to St Petersburg.

It has been an intense, rewarding and life-changing experience for all the people involved, so we hope you will tune in on Monday 17th September.  (And the programme should be available on the BBC website for at least a week after this.)

Catherine Crowther (SAP) and Jan Wiener (SAP)

Coordinators of the IAAP Russian Training Programme

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD