translator question

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Sep 14 16:03:10 UTC 2012

A graduate student at Berkeley just sent me this question, and I don't know the answer. Does anyone on this list?

Thanks.

Russell

"Do you have any information about a Nabokov translator named Winifred Roy? She translated Camera Obscura into English, it was published in 1936 by John Long in London. Nabokov is on the record saying that he despised her translation, and later he rewrote/retranslated it as "Laughter in the Dark" using a great deal of her prose but erasing her name entirely.  Other than this there is very little known about her. Any info or names of good potential resources for this kind of research would be helpful."