Orphanages in Russia

Perova Natasha perova09 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 19 06:56:11 UTC 2012

Anatoly Pristavkin is the first that comes to mind. Especially his The
Golden Cloud There Rested translated by Michael Glenny. In Glas 16 we
published a long excerpt from his novel Kukushkin Kids about his life in the
orphanage where he was raised.
Victor Astafyev also grew up in an orphange. His earlier novels, such as The
Last Respects and Tsar Fish, reflect his childhood experiences.

Natasha Perova
Glas New Russian Writing
tel/fax: (7)495-4419157
perova at glas.msk.su
www.glas.msk.su

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Berry" <shwalizabeth at GMAIL.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:18 AM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Orphanages in Russia

Hello Seelangs Community,

I've recently started research on orphanages in Russia (Soviet, particularly
the Gorbachev era, and Post-Soviet), and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some artistic films and/or literature that are concerned with this
topic. In fact, informational literature would also be helpful. I'd like to
learn about how they have functioned during the Soviet Union and how they
have evolved to the present. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

-Shannon Berry