Query re: third-country Russian visa processing (in region)

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Apr 16 16:51:36 UTC 2013

Donna Griesnbeck,

If he will be processing a student visa, it should not matter where he is
processing it. If he will be arriving on a business or tourist visa, that is
another matter.

If you have residency in a third country, you may process business/tourist
visas in that country. I've read that the definition of this is the ability
to stay in a country for longer than three months without a visa. Kiev used
to offer a service whereby you could buy residency there for a few hundred
dollars and process your visa. However, that's been an off-again-on-again
thing and I think has been shut down since Yanukovych came to power. Georgia
allows Americans to stay up to a year without a visa, which means that that
should be location where it is possible.

However, the most important thing to keep in mind is that all consulates
will operate on their own rules - and the situation can change pretty
quickly even at individual consulates. I would strongly suggest that you or
your student contact these consulates directly to make sure they will
process the visa (and the specific type of visa), before laying down money
on travel plans.

Best,

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org