roily

Matt Tucker MTucker at AIFS.CO.UK
Mon Apr 22 10:03:19 UTC 2013

roily |ˈroilē|
adjective
(chiefly of water) muddy; turbulent : those waters were roily, high, and muddy.

That's what dictionaries are for!

Matt
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Dunn [John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 1:23 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] roily

Help! I have lived for sixty-four years as a native speaker of what I fondly imagined to be English and have never come across the word 'roily'.  What on earth does it mean?

It occurs to me incidentally that there are two possible explanations for the extension of the meaning of 'runny' from boiled eggs and paint to noses.  It may be semantic, but it may also be phonetic, in that it could have originated in speech as a simplification of the awkward (unless you happen to be a native speaker of Bolognese) consonant cluster [ŋn].

John Dunn.