roily

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Apr 23 10:46:00 UTC 2013

There is no point in consulting "British dictionaries" unless you
consult the Oxford English Dictionary - the vast, comprehensive and
continuously updated standard work. It lists both "roily" and the
variant(?) "riley" with many examples, indicating predominantly US
usage, and in the case of "riley" regional US usage. Like John, as a
user of British English I totally unaware of "roily" - but did know
"roiling" as a archaic or poetic word.

With regard to Paul's earlier comment that "roily" is unusual in being
formed from a verb - we do not know that this is so, since "roil" also
exists as a noun. Compare "seepy", "creepy", "jumpy", "rumbly", "moany"
etc, etc - are these deverbal or denominal? Hard to prove. In colloquial
English you can add -y as a formative suffix to many words and still be
understood even if the resulting word is not in any dictionary.

As for the alleged absence of "runny" in English-Russian dictionaries,
it is in the Oxford Russian Dictionary (3rd edn is the one I looked at)
which gives "mokryj" for describing a runny nose, and in my
English-Russian section of the 1995 Penguin Russian Dictionary, which
gives "soplivyj" in the same sense.

Will Ryan