Russian keyboards

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Apr 30 23:39:13 UTC 2013

On 4/30/2013 3:30 PM, Genevra Gerhart wrote:

> The argument against a phonetic keyboard is that you'll have grave
> difficulties with a Russian keyboard in Russia.

This whole discussion is a rerun, and it ignores the reality of 2013.
It is like watching a Simpsons rerun from 1992.  I assume that a student
in Russia will have a personal electronic writing machine with any
number of keyboards installed, according to the desires of the student.
Since all keyboard arrangements are more or less arbitrary, there is no
inherent virtue in the Standard vs. a phonetic keyboard.  The goals of
the individual student should determine the choice.  Even if one can
learn a second keyboard, why invest the time unless one derives
aesthetic pleasure from such learning.  [This is not sarcastic:  I hate
driving and would hate to have to learn a new way of driving in a
Russian car, but I actually enjoy the act of typing, which I learned
about 60 years ago.  And I love how fast I can type Russian on my
phonetic keyboard.]
The last time this came up, it was decided that if an American wanted to
get a job in a Russian office it would make sense to learn the Standard
keyboard, but now I think even this reason is Simpsons-1992.  Imagine
that I am an office manager in Moscow, and for some reason (bilingual in
Russian and English?) I want to hire an American for the summer.  Why?
Aside from getting an English speaker who can type letters in English,
perhaps there is some cachet in having an attractive young American
person in my office.  Only this attractive young American informs me
that s/he only knows the phonetic keyboard.  What do I say?  I say,
well, can you install this keyboard on the computer you will be using?
Need I go on...?
So in the end, there is absolutely NO reason to learn the standard
keyboard anymore.
Jules Levin (who obviously enjoys typing...)
Los Angeles