The plural declension of башка

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Aug 3 22:40:29 UTC 2013

Those are different issues even though they look similar.

On башка all three are probably correct, if this makes sense. The word is Turkic and not fully assimilated, we also have  баш на баш with the same root. So for the standard "elegant" Russian one should say "башка" and not try to make a plural of it. So staying within norms, one would say "У них башка варит", even though each person has a head of his own. Of course the idea of "elegant" Russian in combination with башка is an oxymoron, since башка is colloquial to begin with. So in colloquial language, for example teen's language, башка will have a plural form бóшки:

Фигасе! – поразился Колобков. – Эти бомжи, что, все поголовно бошками ударились? – Спроси их, – пожала плечами чертовка. (http://www.litmir.net/br/?b=105005&p=10)

Call it substandard or whatever, but it's part of the language.

We find the same pattern in пальто (non-declinable) — пóльта:

Которые говорят: пальто с прохожего снято - опять-таки мало интересу. Польта пошли дешевенькие. Не рентабельно. (Зощенко. http://www.litmir.net/br/?b=46216)
On the scale of "non-standardness" польта is worse than бошки, and could be used only in jest, mimiking the uneducated style.

But in fact those native speakers don't know the exceptions but they know the rule: the pattern for башка is like for вода and it makes perfect sense.

Now заря and расти are spelling anomalies. Заря could have been easily spelled зоря and pronounced the same way. In fact it should have been spelled зоря, as we get the plural "А зóри здесь тихие". Someone somewhere (historians of the language could tell you better) decided that this word is going to be spelled the Old Church Slavonic way. The same decision was made for расти, because had it been spelled рости it would have made more sense and fewer stupid school rules. The typical school rule is called Проверяется ударением, i.e. you find a stressed form of the word: трава or трова? — трáвы, hence трава. But in case of расти it's the other way around; the school rule says: under stress whatever you hear, but not under stress — the other one. A total contradiction to the main rule, which makes no sense and no one bothers to explain to the poor kiddies why such a nonsense is made into a rule.

Thus you get расти but рос, and by extension росла.

Now звонить, which is logically spelled with O, since we have звон has been a cause celebrate of the purists for 200 years. Somehow they picked on this verb back then and don't let it go. There are many verbs where the stress has shifted since the days of Pushkin, and no one suffers because of that. It should have been become он звóнит, like он вáрит, which used to be вари´т (and sometimes still is).

Плотит on the other hand is the result on analogy, which is one of the engines of change. If there can be мочить-мóчит, молить-мóлит, звонить-звóнит, why not платить-плóтит? Speakers who make mistakes feel the trend (although it doesn't mean that we should always follow them, not until the mistake becomes very common). There is even an occasional дóрит from дарить, which only proves that we may be dealing with a future trend.

Alina Israeli