On sending our gay students to Russia - or other diverse groups for that matter

Andrew Wachtel a-wachtel at NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Fri Aug 9 15:35:31 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

For those people who are concerned about sending students who are not
straight white male and female students to Russia, I could suggest that you
consider sending them on an exchange to the American University of Central
Asia in Bishkek.  While we do our teaching in English, the language of
social interaction in Bishkek and the university as a whole is Russian, and
as our faculty are almost all native speakers of Russian, we can certainly
arrange content courses in Russian as well as teach the language at all
levels (which we already do).  Bishkek itself is a fascinating place, and
while they are certainly not entirely free of prejudices biases of their
own, the Kyrgyz are generally pretty welcoming to all sorts of outsiders
regardless of gender, creed, sexual orientation and so forth.  AUCA itself,
I think, provides quite high quality instruction, and students who come on
an exchange program do so through Bard College and get courses transcripted
by Bard.  If anyone needs further information, we will be happy to provide.

Andrew Wachtel
President, American University of Central Asia