"Boocha" was: Resources for Russian first name diminutives

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Aug 12 05:04:30 UTC 2013

In my dialect буча means 'scandal': устроить кому‒
то бучу.
Can't think of a nickname.

Бухáть means 'to guzzle', so a nickname with this root would not
be too complimentary.

On Aug 11, 2013, at 9:18 PM, Jules Levin wrote:

> On 8/10/2013 11:41 PM, Brian Hayden wrote:
>>
>> Dear SEELANGers,
>  To all interested responders:
> By coincidence a question has just arisen on another list:  Could
> "Boocha" be the nickname of any (male) Russian name?  I assume the
> 'ch' is the palatal affricate, but it might remotely be a velar
> fricative X.
> Jules Levin
> Los Angeles

Alina Israeli