Guy Daniels, translator and poet

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Aug 13 05:53:04 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Some of Guy Daniel's translations of Lermontov (I have not yet seen any of his other translations) are very good.  Does anyone happen to know any of his family? If so, I would be very grateful for their contact details.

At the foot of this message I am pasting in an obituary from the New York Times.

All the best,

Robert

Guy Daniels, 69, Dies; A Translator and Poet

Published: March 01, 1989

Guy Daniels, a translator and poet, died of prostate cancer Friday at Doctors' Hospital in Manhattan. He was 69 years old and lived in Manhattan.

Mr. Daniels had published more than 40 translations, from Russian and French into English, including ''The Complete Plays of Vladimir Mayakovsky'' and ''Racine and Shakespeare'' by Stendahl. He specialized in Soviet literature of dissent and translated ''My Country and the World,'' by Andrei D. Sakharov.

Born in Gilmore City, Iowa, Mr. Daniels graduated from the University of Iowa. His poems have been published in The Nation, The National Review and The Kenyon Review.

He is survived by his wife, Josianne; a daughter, Brooke McKinley, of Passaic, N.J.; two sons, Matthews and Guy 3d, both of Manhattan; two brothers, Shirley, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Jack, of Paoli, Pa.; a sister, Dorothy Smith of Joplin, Mo., and two grandchildren.

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD