Laws governing Jews inclusion in social life in late Imperial Russia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Aug 23 20:39:03 UTC 2013

http://www.eleven.co.il/article/15442
http://documental.su/popular_science_books/3269-zakony-o-evreyax-v-carskoj-rossii-1914.html

Marriage in my understanding was not a government's concern, since
there was no city hall to officiate; all marriages were religious. So
if someone converted this would not be a mixed marriage anymore.
However, if one did not convert, there was a problem. I knew someone
whose grandparents, one Russian and one Jewish, were married in a
Lutheran church, this was the only church that would agree to marry a
Christian and a Jew.

On Aug 23, 2013, at 2:06 PM, Lina Bernstein wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'd like to learn what laws governed permission for Jews to enter
> university, to intermarry, and to live in big cities. I have a
> general idea but I would like to see precise laws. Any idea where I
> can find such a thing?
>
> Thank you. Lina
> lina.bernstein at fandm.edu

Alina Israeli