Punk Rock and the Collapse of the USSR

Rita Safariants rita.safariants at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 29 21:53:18 UTC 2013

Dear Alexander,

You may want to track down the late Soviet samizdat journal Roksi, which was being published in Leningrad in the late 80s/early 90s. Additionally, I would recommend looking into the history of the Leningrad hard rock music club, Tam Tam, which was founded by former Akvarium cellist, Vsevolod Gakkel. One noteworthy punk band of that time is Pupsy, as well as the creative circle that existed around Andrei "Svin" Panov. Andrei Burlaka has published several rock "encyclopedias," which may serve as a great starting point.

Additionally, there were a number of documentary films that deal with the late Soviet punk movement to varying degrees. I've recently completed a PhD dissertation on a related topic: rock music in late Soviet cinema, which should be available on ProQuest. Perusing its bibliography and/or filmography may prove useful. I will also be happy to chat more about this off list.

All Best,

Rita Safariants
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian Studies
Vassar College