Putin Art

Fusso, Susanne sfusso at WESLEYAN.EDU
Sat Aug 31 16:26:45 UTC 2013

>From Sara Marie Stefani's message:

 "Then-mayor Rudy Giuliani tried to get the Museum evicted from its location; Giuliani also pulled all city funding for the Museum until a federal judge ordered him to reinstate it, and the US House of Representatives likewise suspended federal funding. . . . I'm sure that if Giuliani had possessed the same legal powers that Putin does, he would not have hesitated to use them in Brooklyn!)."

Well, that's a big "if," isn't it?

>From the article linked in the original post about the Putin painting:

"It gave no further detail but Russia does have a law against insulting authorities — an offence that carries a maximum one-year prison term."

There is a difference between trying to remove funding and having police enter a gallery and seize artworks without explanation.

Re Robert Orr's message, I do not think that spontaneous public outrage (NOT police action) about racist minstrelsy performed against the first African-American president at a state fair should be filed under "political correctness."

My last contribution to this interchange, as I think we are discussing apples and oranges.

Susanne Fusso