Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Dec 8 15:15:41 UTC 2013

What an enjoyable discussion!

I would dispute the premise that the term "imaginary" is not relevant
to "We" (it is, after all, the imagination of the citizen-numbers that
is targeted for amputation in the Great Operation!), but of course I
agree with the conclusion that Zamyatin mixes up the terminology on
purpose.  Can we perhaps go further and say that "imagination" and
"irrationality" are, for D-503, essentially synonymous -- that his
pathological fear of all that is not strictly "rational" actually
makes him a bad mathematician?

Lending weight to this theory is that fact that this substitution of
"irrational" for "imaginary" is not the only time D-503 gets his maths
wrong.  The equation he uses at the beginning of Zapis' 4 to work out
the probability of his ending up in the particular auditorium I-330
predicted is also incorrect.  It should be 1/1500(1500 being the
number of auditoria), not 1500/10,000,000 (10,000,000 being the total
number of citizen-numbers to be assigned, which is not relevant to the
probability question).

As it happens, no fewer than 3 math majors showed up in my 20th-c.
Russian lit. class a few years ago, and as you can imagine we
discussed these passages extensively!  We concluded that either (1)
Zamyatin himself was a bad mathematician (possible), or (2) that he
was counting on his readers being ignorant of math and thus not
noticing the mistakes (disappointing), or (3) the most interesting
possibility, that he was deliberately using D-503 to show the
limitations of fundamentalist "rationalism."  In fact one needs
imagination, not just skill with numbers and rules, to be a good
mathematician or engineer; D-503 is crippled by the ideological
training of the One State, and in crippling him, they have also
crippled the technology with which they hoped to secure the future of
the One State itself.  After seeing D-503's mind at work, does anyone
believe the Integral will actually fly?

Rebecca S.