Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sun Dec 8 22:04:48 UTC 2013

I don't think this etymology is false, although it is, perhaps, incomplete.
If I'm not mistaken, the Pythagoreans referred to irrational numbers as
*alogos*--'inexpressible,' but also 'irrational,' insofar as the inability
to express something in terms of whole numbers offended the Pythagoreans'
sense of the rational order of the cosmos (*logos*, in its other sense).
Presumably, the earliest Latin translators of Euclid chose the wrong aspect
of *logos *to emphasize in translating it as *ratio *('reasoning,'
'calculation'). Only because of this translation--or mistranslation--did
*ratio *acquire the meaning in Latin of 'proportion,' which was then
propagated into English and other modern languages. Even if we see this it
as a mistranslation (at the very least it is a misleading one!), it is
nevertheless the etymological source of 'ir/rational number.' For
historically contingent reasons, the term retains a piquant trace of
Pythagorean cosmology. At least this is as near as I can figure it.

Cheers,
David P.

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian and Comparative Literature
Director, Master of Arts in Comparative Humanities
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02453