Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

R. M. Cleminson rmcleminson at POST.SK
Mon Dec 9 07:57:06 UTC 2013

Up to a point.  It should be remembered that "reckoning" is the primary meaning of "ratio" in Latin, and that the use of the word to mean the capacity for reckoning, or cognitive faculty, is secondary.  Similarly, ἄλογος does mean "unreckoned" or "incalculable" in Greek, as well as "unreasoning", so there is no question of a mistranslation of Euclid into Latin.  What is more - though it comes as something of a shock to those of us brought up in the Christian tradition - it appears that the meaning of λόγος in Greek may well have undergone a similar evolution: after all, λέγω in Homer may mean "count", but not "speak", which is a later meaning.  All this, of course, without prejudice to whatever the Pythagoreans may have made of it.

It should also be remembered that irrational numbers are not unreasonable: it is precisely human reason that allows us to identify π as a number and use it in calculation, even if we cannot quantify it exactly.  And any number, real or imaginary, rational or irrational, is an abstraction.

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Od: "David Powelstock" <pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU>
Komu: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Odoslané: nedeľa, 8. december 2013 22:04:48
Predmet: Re: [SEELANGS] Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

I don't think this etymology is false, although it is, perhaps, incomplete. If I'm not mistaken, the Pythagoreans referred to irrational numbers as alogos --'inexpressible,' but also 'irrational,' insofar as the inability to express something in terms of whole numbers offended the Pythagoreans' sense of the rational order of the cosmos ( logos , in its other sense). Presumably, the earliest Latin translators of Euclid chose the wrong aspect of logos to emphasize in translating it as ratio ('reasoning,' 'calculation'). Only because of this translation--or mistranslation--did ratio acquire the meaning in Latin of 'proportion,' which was then propagated into English and other modern languages. Even if we see this it as a mistranslation (at the very least it is a misleading one!), it is nevertheless the etymological source of 'ir/rational number.' For historically contingent reasons, the term retains a piquant trace of Pythagorean cosmology. At least this is as near as I can figure it.

Cheers,
David P.

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian and Comparative Literature
Director, Master of Arts in Comparative Humanities

Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02453