CALL FOR PAPERS: Interdisciplinary Forum in Slavic Studies, U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign April 11-12

Avkhimovich, Irina Sergeyevna avkhimo2 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Dec 9 17:38:41 UTC 2013

Call for Papers:
Interdisciplinary Forum in Slavic Studies

We are pleased to announce a collaboration between the Departments of Slavic Languages and Literatures at The University of Chicago and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).

A joint meeting of
the 33rd Annual Slavic Forum
and the 4th Slavic Graduate Student Association Conference
will take place at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
on April 11-12, 2014

This year’s conference will feature (but not be limited to) interdisciplinary approaches to the study of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian cultures. Our goal is to encourage dialogue and exchange between different fields.

We invite abstracts for individual papers from graduate students in Slavic studies and related fields, including linguistics, literature, film, theatre, music, history, political science, gender studies, Jewish-Russian and Holocaust Studies, anthropology, sociology, and art history.

Application guidelines:

•         email: slavicforum2014 at gmail.com<mailto:slavicforum2014 at gmail.com>

•         please send your abstract as a Word Document attachment

•         abstracts should be 300 words or less (references are not included in the word count)

•         include your name and affiliation at the top of the abstract in header, but not in the body, so that we may anonymize them for refereeing and easily identify them afterwards.

In the body of your email:

•         provide a short biography

•         request equipment

The deadline for all abstract proposals is February 1, 2014.
Participants will be notified by March 1.

We are trying to organize low-cost or free lodging for all, and we may be able to defray some travel expenses for participants from outside the local area.

Each participant will give a 20-minute presentation (8-9 pages of text, double-spaced).
The Slavic Forum committee will organize panels.

Prof. Kristin Romberg of the School of Art and Design at UIUC will present a keynote talk.
Topic TBA.

For more information, refer to UIUC’s Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures website http://www.slavic.illinois.edu/

and The University of Chicago’s Slavic Forum's website
http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/theslavicforum

Irina Avkhimovich
 PhD Candidate
 avkhimo2 at illinois.edu