call for participants in nyc-area dissertation writing workshop

Meghan Forbes mlforbes at UMICH.EDU
Mon Dec 16 19:36:04 UTC 2013

i am seeking fellow doctoral students in the dissertation writing phase of their degree and living in the new york city area, to form a writing workshop. participants will ideally meet on a bi-weekly basis to workshop chapter excerpts from participants, and productively discuss various issues that arise as we write. to provide a multiplicity of perspectives, students from across disciplines and universities are warmly welcome. the goal is to create a supportive, non-threatening space to keep us all writing & to generate constructive feedback from peers outside our own home departments.

if interested, please write to mlforbes at umich.edu with a brief description of your dissertation project, how far along you are in the writing process, what you’d like to get out of the workshop, and a general sense of your availability, by december 31st. a very brief writing sample (2-3 pages) would be helpful but is not required. from all applications, i will put together a group of 5 students (plus myself) that appear to have the potential to work together most effectively.

i’d like to hold the first meeting of the workshop will be held the week of january 13th, at which point we can collaboratively settle on specific goals for the workshop, and a convenient meeting place(s).

---

about me : i am a 4th-year doctoral student in the slavic department of the university of michigan, also affiliated with the german department. i have recently returned from a research trip to prague, where i worked primarily in the literary archive, looking at letters, personal photographs, and clippings of members of the interwar czech avant-garde. in its early stages, my dissertation maps the network of exchange between czechs such as karel teige and vitezslav nezval and participants in other european avant-garde and modernist movements, namely the bauhaus in germany and surrealism in france. the dissertation chapters are organized by media – letters, typography, photography – rather than geographic regions. this academic year, i am writing from brooklyn, and hope to complete an early draft of the dissertation by the summer, when i plan to travel to paris & berlin to complete research. i have a master’s degree from columbia university, and received my bachelor’s in art history from nyu.

i am also the founder and co-editor of harlequin creature, an arts & literary journal, that attempts to be avant-garde in retrograde, by employing no digital reproduction in its production process.

meghan forbes

doctoral candidate
university of michigan, ann arbor

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs