Translation Workshop at AATSEEL 2014

Boris Dralyuk ingsoc at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Dec 20 18:00:37 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

The Translation Workshop at the AATSEEL conference in Chicago will take
place on Saturday, January 11, 1:15-3:00 p.m.  This year the focus will
shift from refining drafts of translations to a discussion of what
constitutes a successful translation.  I have asked three
scholar-translators -- Martha Kelly, Margo Rosen, and Russell Scott
Valentino -- to submit renditions of poems (by other hands) that they
consider to be successful.  At the workshop, we will present and discuss
these pieces, along with the criteria, both objective and subjective, by
which we evaluate poetry in translation.

Anyone interested in the practice and/or theory of translation is welcome!
And if you who would like to see the selected poems ahead of the conference,
please write to me off-list at <ingsoc at earthlink.net>.

I hope to see many of you there!

Best,
Boris

--
Boris Dralyuk
Adjunct Asst. Prof., Slavic Languages and Literatures

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs