Query about language loss and Diaspora folklore

Natalie Kononenko nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Dec 24 21:22:23 UTC 2013

Dear fellow list members,

I need help with references.  I'm sure that I have read how, in a
Diaspora community, as the original language gets lost, there is an
increasing emphasis on the use of objects, esp. ritual objects, to
signal ethnic identity.  Essentially this is a switch from the verbal
to the visual.  As I said, I'm sure I have read this, but I don't know
where.  I may be brain-dead after reading well over 1000 pages of
undergrad essays and exams in less that a week, so...  Please do help
me out.

Natalie

--
Natalie Kononenko