Pussy Riot letter

Sarah Hurst sarahnhurst at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 28 22:41:00 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANGers,

I just translated the letter below, which I thought you might find of
interest.

Sarah Hurst

Government of Moscow

Department of Culture of the City of Moscow

27.12.2013

To the artistic director of the Gogol Theatre K.S. Serebrennikov

To the director of the Gogol Theatre A.A. Malobrodsky

Dear Kirill Semyenovich!

Dear Alexei Arkadievich!

I was surprised to hear from social media about the holding on December 29
in the building of the Gogol Theatre of the premiere showing of the film
Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer with a subsequent discussion with the
participation of the female stars of the film and the cancellation in
connection with this of the creative meeting with the playwright L.
Strizhak.

I have enormous respect for the activities of the Gogol Theatre and
recognise your personal inestimable contribution to the development of the
modern theatre, which has enabled the young generation to return to the
stage of one of the oldest dramatic theatres in Moscow. However, I must
draw your attention to the fact that the theatre which has been entrusted
to you is a state cultural establishment, operating on the basis of a
Constitution and state mission, and is also financed from the state budget.
You, as the heads of the establishment, must acknowledge your
responsibility towards its founder, and above all its audiences.

I am deeply convinced that a state cultural establishment should not
associate itself with the names of persons who provoke such a questionable
reaction and whose activities are based on the provocation of society.

I have no right to interfere in your repertoire policy, and I have never
done that, but bearing in mind the fact that this event is not part of the
official playbill of the establishment, I demand that you cancel the
showing of the documentary “Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer” and the discussion
with the participation of the female stars of this film.

Respected Kirill Semyenovich, you and I have talked a great deal about the
fact that our mission is to “fix the world”, to make it better, and not to
[unclear word] the public with scandalous [unclear word] that have no
relation to culture in any sense of the word. Let’s keep to this principle
and look after each other.

With best wishes and hope for new premieres!

[Handwritten: With respect for your talent]

Minister of the Government of Moscow

Head of Department

S.A. Kapkov

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs