Pussy Riot documentary

Sarah Hurst sarahnhurst at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 29 09:46:31 UTC 2013

I just want to comment, doesn't it say something that these two women are
now the boldest opponents of Putin, while Khodorkovsky has gone into
foreign exile and promised not to participate in politics or business, and
Kasparov has said he won't return to Russia? The list of women who have
died for justice recently in Russia is impressive: Galina Starovoitova,
Anna Politkovskaya, Natalia Estemirova, and others. The late Natalya
Gorbanevskaya was arrested last summer for repeating her protest of 1968 in
Red Square. Someone I know in Russia said that those few protesters who
held up a banner saying "For your freedom and ours" could have protested
legally if they'd got permission and done it elsewhere. Protesters can
always just "find somewhere else to go". How about being hosted by some of
Russia's thriving NGOs (aka foreign agents). Or a private club. I'm sure
there would be no surprise tax or health and safety inspections for any
private company hosting such an event, right? By the way, I rented "Pussy
Riot: A Punk Prayer" on Lovefilm, the UK equivalent of Netflix. The extent
to which Russia is cutting itself off from outside influence (this
Oscar-nominated documentary has no relation to culture, of course), is
staggering.

Sarah Hurst

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs