CFP ASEEES 2014 panel on the Flaneur

Karla Huebner calypsospots at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 29 19:37:39 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I'm organizing a panel on the flâneur in Central and Eastern European
cities (cities somewhat further east are also welcome). My interest in this
topic was kindled by the 2012 symposium The Flâneur Abroad: International
and Historical Perspectives on an Urban Archetype, where I presented on the
Prague flâneur and Tatiana Senkevitch presented on Nevsky Prospect in St.
Petersburg; I feel certain that more could be said about flâneurs and
strolling spectatorship in this region!

Papers can explore the flâneur in literature, art, and/or popular culture;
address geographic, sociological, anthropological, ethnic, and gender
aspects of flânerie; introduce us to individual flâneurs; consider the
flâneur in relation to urbanization; etc.

I hope to serve as discussant, but I am also open to presenting a paper
looking at aspects of the Prague flâneur that were not included in my
earlier paper.

If interested, please submit a brief abstract to calypsospots at gmail.com.

Best wishes,

Karla Huebner