AW: [SEELANGS] pussy riot

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Mon Feb 18 17:18:30 UTC 2013

For a look at the issue from both sides (both liberal Western and
conservative Russian), you might take a look at this article at SRAS.org.

http://www.sras.org/five_major_issues_russia_fall_2012#riot

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Publikationsreferat (Matthias
Neumann)
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:13 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] AW: [SEELANGS] pussy riot

The current issue of the Russian Analytical Digest (No. 122):

Abstract:

“This edition considers the infamous trial of the punk band Pussy Riot. The
band members were on trial for their protest performance in the Cathedral of
Christ the Savior in Moscow on 21 February 2012, which criticized the
relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and the state. Caroline von
Gall assess the trial from a legal perspective, arguing that it showcased
well-known defi­ciencies within the Russian criminal justice system: namely
that it gives short shrift to the Russian Constitution, the Euro­pean
Convention on Human Rights, and the decisions of the European Court of Human
Rights in the interpretation of relevant legal norms. Thomas Bremer analyses
the reaction of the Russian Orthodox Church. He suggests that the Church’s
call for strict punishment reflects its perception that Russian Orthodoxy
—like Christianity in general—is being perse­cuted, and thus that the state
should act to protect it. Bremer adds that this pre-modern conception of
societal unity and diversity will hardly be viable over the longer term in
its current form.”

http://www.css.ethz.ch/publications/DetailansichtPubDB_EN?rec_id=2415

Best wishes,

Matthias Neumann

Matthias Neumann, MA

Publikationsreferat / Publications Dept.

Forschungsstelle Osteuropa an der Universität Bremen /

Research Centre for East European Studies at the University of Bremen

Klagenfurter Str. 3

28359 Bremen

Germany

 <mailto:fsopr at uni-bremen.de> fsopr at uni-bremen.de