aspect question

Wed Feb 20 22:45:24 UTC 2013

Tatiana Filimonova wrote:

> Doesn't "watching" imply a continuing action?  Something more in line with:
> Я смотрел(а), как она бросает мяч.
> or
> Я смотрел(а), как она бросала мяч.
> or
> Я смотрел(а), как она бросила мяч.
>
> It would depend on whether "she" was throwing the ball repeatedly, or
> just threw it once.

For me, "watch" differs essentially from "see" in that "watch" denotes
conscious attention directed at the target. Often, that is associated
with prolonged processes, but not necessarily: "I watched him jump off
the cliff."

As a nonnative speaker of Russian, I would have been more inclined to
use смотреть for Prof. Gladney's case, but I was not surprised to see
видеть in the first response from a Russian. The boundary between the
two Russian verbs is not precisely the same as the boundary between the
two English verbs.

As to your solutions, my understanding of the English admits the first
two possibilities -- the throwing could have happened once or
repeatedly. Of course, it is illogical to think that the throwing could
have happened before the watching. ;-) But with a different main verb:

Я узнал(а), как она бросила мяч.

it is quite possible that the throwing preceded the learning by some
time. A clearer case:

Я только позавчера узнал(а), как Советский Союз распал.

If we substitute смотреть here, the listener/reader can only make sense
of the sentence by assuming we were watching a recording of the event
and not the live event itself:

I was just watching the fall of the Soviet Union (on TV) the other day.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com