Call for Papers for the 33rd Annual Slavic Forum

Emily Ewers ewers1 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Jan 7 20:30:07 UTC 2013

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Chicago is thrilled to announce our new partnership with the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign!

We will be working together to host our upcoming graduate student conference, the 33rd Annual Slavic Forum.

The conference will be held on the University of Chicago campus on April 12th and 13th, 2013.  This year’s theme is “Movement Across Time and Space.”  We welcome  submissions from Master’s or Ph.D. students in all fields dealing with Slavic studies, including linguistics, literature, art, history, anthropology, and interdisciplinary studies.

Panel themes will be determined by the Slavic Forum committee following acceptance of papers to the conference. All talks are 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes for discussion.  Keynote speaker TBA. Past panels have included topics such as “Slavic Linguistics,” “Text and Image,” “Space and Time,” and “Slavs Abroad.”  Recent papers have included: "Pretonic Vowel Assimilation in Russian Dialects and the Development of Vowel Harmony," "A Boundless Space, An Intimate Space: Rethinking Sovereignty Through the Work of Alban Muja" and “Museum, Archive and Historical Narrative in 'Russkii kovcheg' and 'Gorod zero'.”

Papers accepted to the 33rd Annual Slavic Forum will be published in an electronic collection of working papers from the conference.

Please submit abstracts (250 words) to slavicforum at gmail.com by January 18, 2013. All abstracts should be sent as attachments in Word or PDF.  Examples and references are not included in the word count.  Please include your name and affiliation at the top of the abstract but not in the body, so that we may make them anonymous for refereeing and easily identify them afterwards.  All abstracts will be refereed and participants will be notified by January 25th.