ASEEES Music Group Roundtable, "Revolutionizing Music and Sound"

Polina Dimova pdimova at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jan 10 04:20:38 UTC 2013

With apologies for the cross-listing,

The REEE Music Study Group is organizing its annual roundtable for the ASEEES convention in Boston, 2013 on the topic of "Revolutionizing Music and Sound: Music, Technology, and New Media in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia."  We will seek to explore how technological innovations and new media have revolutionized the creative production, sound recording, and perception of music and sound in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia throughout history.  The roundtable hopes to bring together scholars working on a variety of aspects of revolution in the musical medium, the soundscape, or multimedia sound art, resulting from historically new technologies and media, broadly defined: for instance, the phonograph, the radio, sound recording, live electronics, etc.  This interdisciplinary roundtable welcomes proposals from a multitude of methodological approaches, coming from the disciplines of history, musicology, literature, cultural studies, anthropology, etc.  Additionally, presentations may investigate the collaboration or conflicts between technological and scientific revolutions and revolutionary events in history, as seen in REEE music and sound.

Confirmed participants will likely focus on early sound recording in Russia; telephony in the Soviet 1930s; and the avant-garde experimentation of the Polish Radio in the 1950s.  I am looking for two more participants and, potentially, a chair. If you are interested in participating in the Music Study Subgroup Roundtable, please, contact me at pdimova at obelrin.edu.

Thanks so much,

Polina

--
Polina Dimova, Ph.D.
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow | Visiting Assistant Professor