Project Announcement: Study Abroad Tips from The Association for Students and Teachers of Color in Slavic Studies (STC)

Jennifer L. Wilson jlwtwo at PRINCETON.EDU
Tue Jan 22 21:07:42 UTC 2013

Dear members,

           For some time, the Association of Students and Teachers of Color in Slavic Studies (STC) has been planning  to compile a list of recommendations for Slavic Departments on how best to advise students of color on safety while studying abroad in Russia and Eastern Europe. While there have been indications that conditions for minorities have been improving, and Moscow and Saint Petersburg are experiencing steady drops in recorded attacks on racial and ethnic minorities, it is important for students to be aware of certain situations and places where their personal safety might still be threatened.  As such, we have been compiling recommendations from study abroad programs that have been especially proactive on this matter.  We are currently working with SRAS, but are anxious to hear from other organizations and programs that would like to contribute to our findings.  We are also interested in hearing from students, instructors, and researchers of color who have recently been to the region.  We will be putting together a list of their comments, advice, and possibility contact info (if desired) as well.   If you or anyone you know would like to participate in this project, please contact STC member Jennifer Wilson at jlwtwo at princeton.edu.

Sincerely,

The Board of STC