CFP: UVa Slavic Forum, April 6, 2013

Michael Marsh-Soloway mam7cd at VIRGINIA.EDU
Thu Jan 24 03:17:33 UTC 2013

Fourth Annual UVA Slavic Forum
“The Power of Language, The Language of Power”

Call for Papers

“The limits of my language are the limits of my mind.”
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein

The Society of Slavic Graduate Students at the University of Virginia is pleased to announce the
Fourth Annual Slavic Forum to be held in the Jefferson Scholars Building in Charlottesville, VA,
on Saturday, April 6, 2013. The theme of this year’s forum is “The Power of Language, The
Language of Power,” and we invite submissions examining any aspect of the intersection of
language and the various structures of authority. How does language confer political, social or
literary capital to its users? In what ways do tools of discourse influence the thoughts and actions
of individuals and societies? This theme is intended to guide presentations and discussion in the
broadest possible terms, and may include topics as diverse as:

• The artist and the state
• Author and authority
• Political propaganda
• Foreign language-learning and pedagogy
• Linguistic analysis
• Ethical and political dimensions of translation
• Marginalized discourses, dialects, vernaculars, idioms, and slang phraseologies
• Creation of national literatures and canons
• Language of subversion, political satire, literary parody, anekdoty
• Literary works engaged in social and political discourses
• Linguistic norms and prescriptive approaches to usage
Etc.

Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to submit their work. Presentations should
be no more than 20 minutes in length. Abstracts of no more than 250 words should be submitted as
attachments to <SlavicForum at virginia.edu> no later than March 15, 2013.