Mea culpa (naschet Tolstogo)

Joe Peschio peschio at UWM.EDU
Wed Jan 30 21:57:54 UTC 2013

David (and all friends of FEB),

We've been working on the Tolstoy PSS for a few years now (we've processed 40 volumes here in Milwaukee so far). For various reasons, the development is going more slowly than usual, but it's still underway. The good news about the delay is that it appears likely that the PSS will be one of the first editions to come out using the new FEB platform, which will be more user friendly and will have a bunch of new bells and whistles (including, importantly, original page images as well as OCR output). If fortune smiles on FEB, it should start coming online within the next couple years. Meanwhile, there is already a small trove of Tolstoy-related bibliographic rarities (appox. 60,000 pp.) to tide over tolstovedy at: http://feb-web.ru/feb/tolstoy/default.asp

Best wishes,
Joe

Joe Peschio
Associate Professor of Russian (and FEB's US operative)
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Dear SEELANGers,

I spoke too soon in recommending Feb-Web as a site for searchable full text of Tolstoy's Pol. sob. soch. . Feb-Web puts placeholder links in for volumes for which they have not yet posted the full text: little boxes with single dots in them. Unfortunately, very few of the Tolstoy volumes listed have in fact been incorporated, which I failed to notice. (Other sections, including those I work with most, are much more complete.) They do scan new texts when they can, though. You can see news of the latest entries on their home page under "Novosti."

I'm sorry to have given anyone false hope. And for the sake of tolstovedy everywhere, I hope Feb-Web can manage to develop their Tolstoy section soon!

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian and Comparative Literature
Chair, Comparative Literature
Director, Master of Arts in Comparative Humanities
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02453