Teffi's memoir about Rasputin: "i sam"

George Hawrysch seelang at HAWRYSCH.COM
Sun Jul 28 14:59:22 UTC 2013

> The initial "On" has to be Rasputin.

No, it more likely refers to the khozyain. If it meant Rasputin, it
would be without the "i sam".

> What does the "и сам" add to the sentence?
> Is it to give the impression of this being Rasputin's own words?

"i sam" simply means himself i.e. the khozyain. A possible translation
might be: "Says he doesn't care for writers himself. Fears them." The
"he" in that sentence is NOT Rasputin.

> While I am about it, and because I never quite trust myself with
> these tiny words, what does the "-то" add?

Not much. "-to" in this case implies something like "when it comes to
writers..." but does not necessarily denote that. I would ignore it.

"He won't think that. The host promised not even to tell him that we're
writers. He's not that comfortable with writers himself, he says. Fears
them. So they'll hide this little detail from him. It's better for us too
if he doesn't know."

George Hawrysch