Forming AATSEEL panel on Russian memoir/autobiography

Renee Scherer ischerer at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jun 18 15:45:43 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANGtsy,

We are looking for a few more participants for an AATSEEL 2014 panel on
Russian language memoir/autobiography that will examine the role(s)
assigned to literature itself within narratives of childhood and
adolescence. Our panel would ask: How does the memoir invoke and comment on
books, poetry, libraries, and education as a part of one's upbringing and
socialization? Does literature foster particular experiences, attitudes, or
opportunities in memoir? Are these consistent only with
childhood/adolescence, or do the memoirs posit a sustained potential for
literature in one's life? We are interested in discussing the intertextual
and self-referential nature of this connection between author and text. A
wide range of time periods and ethnic/religious contexts would be welcome!

If you would like to participate, please contact Renee Scherer off-list at
ischerer at umich.edu .

--
Renee Scherer
PhD Candidate