Russian keyboards

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Wed May 1 16:55:52 UTC 2013

> This has been very interesting. I didn't know that phonetic keyboards
> were so widely used. I assumed that the standard Russian keyboard would
> be easier to use because the most frequently-used letters are more
> central, as with the QWERTY keyboard.

To add some to the discussion, the choice of keyboard layout seems to
challenge notions of fluency. WHile I agree with Don Livingston's comment
that a phonetic/look-a-like keyboard greatly facilitates productivity,
like writing, keyboard layout seems to me to have something to do with the
level of target language fluency.

Being a heritage speaker of Ukrainian, in the early 1990s I opted for
remapping my own keyboards for something like a phonetic keyboard (this
was still the days of 8 bit fonts and cyrillic encoding conflicts - 1251
vs KOI8, pre hyper acceptance of UTF-8).

Sure, my keyboard had
A - А
B - Б
H - Г
and
W - Ш

Being a touch typist at between 50-70 wpm (when the winds at my back),
phonetic/lookalike was the way to go.

However, once in a while there is an ИЦУКЕН keyboard, what then? My desire
has always been to develop touch-typing abilities on that layout. But
where are there tutors or exercises? Well, after twenty years of waiting,
I think that the moment has arrived.

Similar to Don's references for resources, I'll give you mine. I'm a Linux
user (Fedora to be specific). That's alien for most everyone.
Nevertheless, the resources are considerable. No longer do I have to
create my own keyboard mappings as in earlier days of Linux distributions.
Today, I use the XFCE Desktop environment (there are at least four in the
Linux world, to Windows one; but this isn't a religious preference, more a
decorative one).

XFCE (and the more popular ones of KDE and Gnome) offer preset multiple
keyboard mappings for use with different languages: for Ukrainian there
are seven (the legacy Soviet one along with six other
semi-phonetic/lookalike ones). For Russian, there are 13 (including
Bashkirian). Given this menu
of choices, my Cyrillic keyboard-mapping days are over.

As for multi-lingual typing tutors, the Linux and FOSS (Free and Open
Source Software) community offers Klavaro; it looks like the best of
several for this purpose.

> Sarah Hurst

fyi,

Max Pyziur