SEELANGS Digest - 1 May 2013 (#2013-189)

Danine Falcon falcon at USNA.EDU
Thu May 2 13:36:36 UTC 2013

Actually, the QWERTY keyboard was not adopted because "the most frequently
used letters were the most central" -- quite the opposite. In the beginning
days of typewriting, early typists were so fast that the individual rods
containing the letter imprints would get tangled up with each other as they
went up and down striking the paper. Typewriter designers went back to the
drawing board and redesigned the layout of the keys so that it took longer
to type, thus slowing down the rods and reducing the frequency of jams. For
what it's worth. Have a nice day,

Danine Falcon
Languages and Culture Studies Dept.
Nimitz G 058