Russian Acts of Kindness

Irina Shevelenko idshevelenko at WISC.EDU
Mon May 6 01:58:32 UTC 2013

The only media in Russia that do not have freedom of speech are those which
happen to have an audience in the millions, i.e., all major TV channels.
And, yes, it means there is no freedom of speech and information in Russia.
What is here to debate? Whom are we kidding?

Irina Shevelenko
(also quite fluent in both languages)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Rylkova,Galina S
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:17 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Acts of Kindness

Dear Professor Moss,

I was not comparing my circle of friends to any other circle of friends. I
was offering my own informed opinion of someone who is fluent in both
languages (who can watch political debates, etc. for hours non-stop in both
languages), who lived in both countries for extended periods of time and who
also has analytical skills to analyze and compare. And as someone who
watches CNN, PBS, FOX and MSNBC coverages on a daily basis (unlike most
Russians that I know) I can competently compare the variety being offered in
both countries.

Yes, most of my Russian friends and relatives also believe that they don't
have freedom of speech and many other freedoms. But they don't read American
newspapers or watch American TV.

I also don't believe that current discussions of abortion and gay and
lesbian rights in America are very reassuring.

Galina Rylkova