Russian Acts of Kindness

Martin Votruba votruba+slangs at PITT.EDU
Mon May 6 20:36:22 UTC 2013

When we look at the actual rating (less is better), rather than mere ranking, of press freedom in the countries and cultures of interest to SEELANGS (plus the UK and U.S. for comparison):

10.17 Czech R. (compare: 10.24 Germany)
13.11 Poland
13.25 Slovakia
16.89 United Kingdom
18.22 U.S.
20.49 Slovenia
26.59 Serbia
26.61 Croatia (compare: 26.11 Italy)
26.86 Bosnia and Herzegovina
28.58 Bulgaria (compare: 28.46 Greece)
34.27 Macedonia
36.79 Ukraine
43.42 Russia
48.53 Belarus

... there is a detectable regional-cum-historical match and no "Slavic" match. As to the distress expressed by some about Russia's rating, let me note by comparison that when the 2013 ratings were published some time ago, commentaries in Bulgaria, Croatia, and even high-rated Slovakia expressed concern that press freedom should be better in their countries with no suspicions that Reporters without Borders are playing on the American, or any other, team. A few other countries across Europe for good measure: 6.31 Finland (top), 9.94 Switzerland, 20.5 Spain, 21.6 France, 26.09 Hungary.

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu