iPad in Russia

Konstantin Kudinov kudichster at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 9 20:16:54 UTC 2013

Peter is right,
I would never take an iPad to Russia with me. The use of apple technologies
is strictly prohibited and officially illegal without special permission
signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin. The punishment for that is
severe and depends on device model you have (de iure) and mostly on local
judge's mood (de facto). In general adult people go to prison-like
settlements in Siberia for 1-2 years, depending on iPad/iPhone/iPod model
the person has.

The reason for that is simple: russian authorities just want to be unique
people using apple products in the country. Actually, ban on apple devices
caused all protest events on Moscow streets and across the country. Pussy
Riot band members are in prison because they were using unauthorized apple
devices to capture video of their performance in the Cathedral of Christ
the Saviour. Another well-known example is the death of Alexander
Litvinenko. While western media were kept focusing on espionage assassin
paranoid versions everyone in Russia knows real reason. Litvinenko managed
to get newer model of iPhone than Putin had at that time. So he was
lectured for his insolent behavior.

Of course there are some ways to bring in an apple technology. If you still
have enough courage to do so, I would recommend the simplest one: when you
go through passport control in the airport just have 2-3 hundred dollars in
cash in your passport and say “I have a present for you”. Usually, it helps
to get rid of hard-bitten attention of kgb agents.

Best of luck

Konstantin Kudinov