French name?

Anne Fisher anne.o.fisher at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 16 16:16:01 UTC 2013

Thank you so much for these great points! Alexandra, I did know about the
Berkman reference, which is why I agree that there must be some reference
in the name "Shotlua" too, I'm just not finding it. (But I'm glad you
provided this reference, since I just saw I am spelling that name wrong!).

In this case it would be lost in transl[iter]ation, since the hidden "aul"
"tosh" would be lost once the name is rendered back into its original (?)
language.

And, it is true that the first syllable could indeed be the German
"schott-", but the second, "-lua", doesn't sound very Germanic. Does anyone
know whether "-lua" exists somewhere as a variant of the more common German
diminutive ending "-l" or "-li"? Or - since an introduced "-ua-" sound is
very typical for Austrian German (for example), maybe this "-lua" could be
a phonetic rendering of a regional or dialect pronunciation of a German
name ... maybe "Schottler"? (Although if Platonov did have some German, he
would know that this name as written does not transliterate into Russian as
"Шотлуа" [Shotlua].)

I will keep thinking. Thanks again to the list for your superbly helpful
and informative comments.

Annie

--
Anne O. Fisher, Ph.D.