Pronunciation help with Latvian song text

HUgh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Sat May 18 05:43:33 UTC 2013

Friends and colleagues, brāļi un māsas!

I am preparing the text of a well-beloved Latvian song, "Kas tie tādi," in slightly modified transcription to help a chorus pronounce it reasonably, and am writing to request help from you who really know the language and the text.

As you know, standard Latvian orthography uses a single letter, e , to represent two different sounds: "closed" [ɛ] and "open" [æ]; the former sounds something like US standard pronunciation of the vowel in "head"or "led" or "gem"; the latter sounds more like the vowel in US standard "had"or "lad" or "jam". (As with other vowels, both of these "e"-variants can occur short or long, standardly written "e" or "ē".) If you don't know the language, when you meet a graphic "e" or "ē" you can't very well tell which pronunciation to give it, like head/led/gem or had/lad/jam.

In the text below (four verses), my intention is to indicate this difference by using an arbitrary "e*" for the open (had/lad/jam) variant. I have done my best to do so, but there are probably some mistakes remaining. I would be very grateful for corrections of mistakes I may have made in this or any other feature (long/short syllables, for instance). It probably makes most sense to respond off-list.

Many thanks. Liels paldies!

Hugh Olmsted

Kas tie tādi, kas dziedāja,

Bez saulītes vakarā?

Tie ir visi bāra bē*rni,

Bargu kungu klausītāj’.

2.

Kurin’ ugun, silda gaisu,

Slauka gaužas asaras,

Krimta cietu pe*lavmaizi,

Avotiņa mē*rcē*dam’.

3.

Saulīt vē*lu vakarāi,

Sēžas zeltā laiviņā,

Rītā, agri uzlē*kdama,

Atstāj laivu līgojot.

4.

Kam, saulīte, vē*lu lēci,

Kur tik ilgi kavējies?

Aiz viņiemi kalniņiemi,

Bāra bē*rnus sildīdam’.

[note: e* pronounced like ‘had/lad/jam']