Russian Soul

Alexis Zimberg zimberg.alexis at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 23 14:24:51 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANGS community,

In Hebrew, the word Neshama refers to the Jewish soul. My question for the community is whether there is a Russian word or phrase that encompasses the idea of a 'Russian Soul (other than rysskaia dusha),' especially as it so often comes up in discussions of literature and national identity.

A Slavic soul? An Eastern European spirit? Even better if there is something so nuanced as the 'cloaked Russian soul,' the 'hearty Russian soul,' or the 'proud Russian soul.'

Thank you in advance for your insights. I intend no offense by my question and realize that the act of generalizing a nation in one word or phrase is contentious.

Kind regards,

Alexis Zimberg
Post-Soviet Graffiti
www.PostSovietGraffiti.com