New Russian dialect recorded in Alaska

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 31 17:36:37 UTC 2013

On 5/31/2013 8:50 AM, Sibelan Forrester wrote:
> Respected SEELANZhane,
>
> Forwarding this link from RIA Novosti in case others have not seen it:
>
> <http://en.ria.ru/world/20130529/181410443/Unique-Russian-Dialect-Recorded-in-Alaska.html>

Too bad there are no actual examples in the article.  In the 60's I
recorded a Molokan dialect in Los Angeles still spoken by oldsters who
were children of the immigrant generation (Tolstoy-funded emigres circa
1900...).  I actually worked through the Soviet dialect questionaire
with an informant.  I did write a paper for the UCLA Slavic Dept but
never published.  In the 90's I turned over everything--tapes, notes--to
visiting Moscow linguists at UCLA, happily received.  Never got word of
any resulting research or publication.
That dialect was umerennoe jakan'e, with loss of neuter gender.  With
the loss of neuter gender you get a new mixed declension--Acc. -u, Inst.
-om, etc.  I mention this because I would like to know the details of
the mentioned shift of some fems to mascs. in the Alaska dialect.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles