Study abroad in Belgrade, Serbia, for spring 2014

Holdeman, Jeffrey D. jeffhold at INDIANA.EDU
Sat Nov 2 01:58:35 UTC 2013

Dear SEELangers,

I have a student who is interested in studying abroad in Belgrade,
Serbia, for spring 2014 semester.  She did a program this summer (which
she loved and thrived in) and would like to return for a longer time
and for additional coursework.  Here is what she is looking for:

"I would like to spend spring 2014 in Belgrade, Serbia. My primary
reason for this is to become fluent in the language (I am in the 300
level BCS class now). I would also like to take some culture classes as
well. I hope to gain a better understanding of the political and war
history in the Balkans as well as what the impact of communism, and its
demise, was on Serbia and the Serbian people. I also hope to
participate in some internship or volunteer work. Some ideas I had were
to work in a school (English-speaking) to help with any tutoring and or
to help students who are interested in attending universities in
America gain a better understanding of what it is like. I have
contacted some high schools in Belgrade, and they have all been very
receptive to collaborating with me. I am pre-med, so I would love a
medical related internship if possible. Lastly, I would like a rather
flexible experience to allow for travel around the area."

Does anyone have experience with programs that match all or most of
these parameters?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond to me on- or off-list and I will post a summary in a week.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey D. Holdeman
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Indiana University, Bloomington
jeffhold at indiana.edu