Aeroflot has become customer-oriented?

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Sun Nov 3 09:14:47 UTC 2013

Just to clarify - this is DRAFT legislation - ie, not law yet.

It stands a decent chance of passing - it's getting fair coverage inside
Russia, but it has yet to be considered by the legislature or signed by the
president. Incidentally, reporting on Russian legislation in Russian tends
to discuss reality from the point of view of how it will change by the draft
legislation being reported on - so it sounds like the draft law is actually
already law unless you read very carefully. If any of you have advanced
students reading news or studying translation, this is an important quirk of
Russian.

Should also mention that this will (under current wording) apply only to
citizens from 20 countries: Germany, the United Kingdom, Sweden, Italy,
France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Poland,
China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, the United States, Canada, and
Australia.

Also, just to chime in on the airline discussion - Aeroflot is actually very
decent in its service as well as the planes, pilots, and even food they
serve (as airlines go). Especially international flights are up to
international standards. There are a lot of smaller airlines flying domestic
routes inside Russia that I avoid (and I check the airplane info before
booking - I don't fly in Tupolevs, as they are wobbly enough to make sick).
However, Aeroflot itself has indeed made great improvements in recent years.

If you are nostalgic for bad product served badly, book with Transaero.
About 90% of Transaero flights I've taken have definitely been keeping the
old traditions alive.

Best,

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org