Translation of The Kreutzer Sonata

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Nov 1 17:01:31 UTC 2013

My comment characterizes the story--its implied author, if you will--and
not its protagonist. As we all know, it is usually a mistake to equate the
views of an author--even an implied author--with those of a protagonist or
narrator. Pozdnyshev may be all the things Daniel says he is and more, but
even if this is true, it hardly means that the story itself sanctions these
attitudes (or pathologies, if you prefer). On the other hand, my claim that
the *story* is emphatically sex-negative is, while arguable, hardly
controversial. Nor do I think it is "curious," although I admit that I'm
not sure exactly what that adjective is meant to convey in this context. Of
course, there is plenty of ambiguity and complexity (not to mention
hypocrisy) in and between Tolstoy's own behavior and views about sexuality.

Regards to all,
David

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian and Comparative Literature
Director, Master of Arts in Comparative Humanities
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02453