in the city of N

Anne L Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Mon Nov 4 15:25:54 UTC 2013

The "gorod N" convention comes from Latin "nomen." Yes, there are a number
of prerevolutionary works in which provincial cities that serve as settings
are given names (sometimes real and sometimes made up).

In case anyone is interested, I've published several articles relating to
these questions (see JSTOR).

Anne Lounsbery

Associate Professor and Chair

Department of Russian & Slavic Studies