dictionaries on beginning level Russian tests?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Wed Nov 6 19:40:00 UTC 2013

I teach online, and so I cannot really effectively ban dictionaries.  What I *do* do, however, is create digital online tests that pull from a large pool of questions (so each test, and each time they take it, the actual questions will be different).  And I construct the tests such that I want students to get the basic concepts rather than just individual pieces of info.  I also include a listening comprehension portion.

So if they use dictionaries, that just represents real life.  You could also time the test so that if they need to look up every single word, they won't finish.

Emily

P.S. Oh, and I seriously penalize for misuse of Google translate -- like if they turn in an answer with a past participle in it...